Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Of PC's and the Fair

It’s certainly been an interesting couple of days. Monday, I got a new PC that didn’t work right out of the box, yesterday we went to the state fair with relatives, and today I got a replacement PC that does work right out of the box. What a deal.
First, the PC. The old PC needed to have a clean hard drive. I, however, no longer have the numbers needed to install Windows XP (although my software is legit). So I could buy a new copy of XP, or I could get a new PC. With rebate, the new PC was about $75 more than the software, so I got the PC.
Right out of the box, it didn’t seem to be working quite right. I fiddled with it until today when I called the people who did the warranty. No, I didn’t hold on the phone for hours on end. I bought an extra warranty from the sellers of the PC (Office Depot) and they answered the phone in just a few minutes.
Nigel (from Georgia) heard a minute or so of my complaint and told me to box it up and take it back, taking advantage of the 14 day “no questions asked” guarantee. I did so and exchanged it for a like model. This one appears to be running as advertised. Thanks, Nigel.
It’s always a hassle to change PC’s. I have to install programs, move data files, make sure I don’t forget anything, and in general hold my mouth just right or I tend to get in trouble. I get impatient and sometimes click something I shouldn’t. That messes up everything. I’d never make a computer technician.
However, Vista (yeah, yeah, I know) seems to be doing fine, and we’re back on the web. I’ll talk some of the fair in another post.
BTW, the girls are coming back tomorrow. I think we’re ready, but we never know for sure until they get here.

No comments: