Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Looking Up

I normally don’t pay a lot of attention to the morning hours much before about 9am. However, as I drove the girls to school today (we travel East to the school), I noticed as I turned on 13rh street that the sun was barely peeking above a ridge of dark clouds over in the eastern sky. There was just a slit between that ridge and another ridge above it and the sun was just beginning to traverse that area.
I knew that I had to visit with a school counselor at 9am today about one of our girls who is failing most of her classes. I wasn’t looking forward to that. Neither was I sure what the rest of the day held. So I wasn’t particularly ready or willing to have a religious lesson right then and there.
However, I also felt that there was indeed a message for me, and I needed to look at it (the message) as well as the moment. Somehow, it seemed, God was creating that moment for me and any others who happened to look ahead or over and see the phenomenon. Do you think for a minute that God’s hand COULD have been involved in that? That He did that just for me and whoever would look?
I then wondered how many times I fail to look, or worse, fail to appreciate what I do see. I sometimes have my head so far into the abyss that it seems I can’t even jump up to see out, let alone have any time to truly appreciate what is there for me.
I don’t know if God intended to create that moment for me, for someone else, or for no one in particular. I do know that it got me to thinking about how I tend to (insert cliché here). That cliché could be “not see the forest for the trees” or one of many others.
Maybe I need to look up more.

No comments: