Saturday, October 20, 2007

Freedom

I’m going to return to a topic I’ve talked about before. Some of my past blogs have talked about a girl that we recently admitted to Prairie View. I’ll call her Ariel. She has emotional issues that we are not equipped to deal with, so we had to admit her to another facility.
Ariel continues to vividly remind me of the song that I’ve put the lyrics of on my blog before. “Let Freedom Ring” is a song that talks of the freedom that can be had in Christ. Just yesterday I popped the DVD into the PC and played that song as performed by the Gaither Vocal Band. Doing that helps to “ground” me and reminds me why I do what I do.

Let freedom ring wherever minds know what it means to be in chains.
Let freedom ring wherever hearts know pain.
Let freedom echo through the lonely streets where prisons have no key.
We can be free and we can sing --- let freedom ring!

Ariel’s mind is truly in chains. The Evil One has seen to it that she will never be able to escape on her own. This is more than just mental health issues. This is warfare, and Ariel is a prisoner of war.
Ariel’s heart truly knows pain. She was told by her mother that she was a child of the devil. She literally believes that, in her childish way, I believe. Can you imagine the pain of this child as she processes that statement by her mother? Can you imagine what she thinks of her father?
Hers is indeed a wandering on the lonely streets of the prison of her mind. The Evil One has succeeded in isolating her. There is no key…only aimless existence until the key that is Jesus Christ unlocks the chains that bind and the doors that close her in.
I pray that in some small way, we can help her to accept the key to her freedom, which is Jesus.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

I've become a pretty regular reader, Jay, and am getting more of a feel for your ministry in Wichita. Its great to know that through you people God is able to do many wonderful things, even through rough times. I didn't know the song you referred to but opened my media player, found it by Gaither Vocal Band, and listened. It's quite impressive and powerful. Thanks for your words of inspiration.

Your Uncle Wayne