Monday, October 22, 2007

Is There a Lesson Here?

Once in a while I click on a favorites listing in my browser for Antarctic weather. As of when I checked (6am this morning), the South Pole station operated by the United States was reporting 76 degrees below 0, and the Vostok station operated by the Russians was reporting 111 degrees below 0. I was interested in checking further, and Googled Antarctic weather.
I found out that the average relative humidity there is .03%, and there is less than 1 inch average snowfall in a given year on the continent. The coldest temperature recorded there was 129 degrees below 0 at Vostok in 1983, and winds sometimes reach 200 miles an hour on parts of the continent.
At the same time as the above temperatures were recorded, however, Palmer station, operated by the United States, was recording a balmy 22 degrees above 0. Talk of a land of contrast! On the same continent, there was 133 degrees of difference in temperature at different stations.
I don’t know about you, but I am a temperate climate person. Not having experienced the extreme cold of the poles or the extreme heat and humidity of the tropics, I don’t speak from much experience. However, I can’t imagine living in either of those places and being anywhere close to comfortable. Certainly, living there would be an adventure in both comfort and survival.
When we stop to think about it, we really have it pretty good here. We are amply and bountifully supplied with all that we need and more. We have the ability to make our environment even more temperate than normal with air conditioning and heating systems. We can humidify the air, de-humidify the air, clean the air, purify the water, and cook our food. Our waste products break down due to beneficial action by bacteria and other life forms. Overall, we have it made.
So why do we continue to complain? I don’t know. Maybe we’re a “stiff-necked people”, as Moses wrote long ago about Israel. They had it good, too, but couldn’t see the forest for the trees. Hmmm. I wonder if there’s a lesson there for us….

No comments: