Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Don't Look Back

Today, I upset my whole life. You see, my computer is going into the shop to have its hard drive wiped and everything re-installed. There are some corrupt and missing files in the operating system, and we've tried about everything to fix it except for this. It still isn't working properly, so we'll do the ultimate...the wipe.
I hate it when this happens. Even though some things don't work right, I'm comfortable with the old machine the way it is. I know it's for the better, but there's a certain (unfounded) apprehension that even what is now working won't work any more. It's like having to get rid of an old pickup that loses parts as it trundles down the road, or throwing away an old screwdriver that's been with me for the last 35 years.
But, I'll not look back. I've made up my mind. I'm going to a minister's meeting in Manhattan today, and while I'm away, the nice computer man will play with my hard drive. Hopefully, all of the necessary files will be properly installed, and my pain and suffering in getting the PC going again will be minimal this evening and tomorrow.

No comments: