Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Communication What??

My wife and I had a conversation today about communication. You would think after all these years (over 30), that we’d have this thing pretty well worked out. It seems, however, that I don’t really know the first thing about communication.
I’m not going to get into the specific issue, because I’m still just a little confused about what happened and why this was such an ordeal. Nor am I sure why after all these years we continue to have communication issues.
But I know we do have issues, and I know that many people with just as much or more time together have issues. Failure to communicate appropriately seems to be a grade A human weakness and is a lifelong learning process.
I think I work hard to try to communicate appropriately, clearly, and adequately. I know my wife struggles to do the same. And the people we work with and for are equally involved in improving communication among us all. Yet it seems that this is the one issue that continues to cause us the most grief most of the time.
I think it’s a fair statement to say that there are no easy and quick answers. There is, however, a lifelong learning process and a lifelong struggle to find that good balance that constitutes good communication between husband and wife as well as co workers, friends, relatives, etc.

No comments: