Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Some of Branson

Let’s see. What was it about Branson this time that sticks in my head? What is it about anything that makes it stick in my head? I don’t know the answer to the latter question, but to the former…where do I start?
Should I begin with the Five and Dime downtown that has, it says, “over 50,000 items”? Many of those items are things you used to see in five and dimes but don’t see anymore (mainly because five and dimes have gone away, too). There were old fashioned toys such as the balsa-wood airplanes you used to be able to buy in a plastic bag for a dime (now $1.29), old-style toys like Tinkertoys, Slinky, Silly Putty, and numerous others. [[Anyone remember American Bricks? I’ve never seen them re-created anywhere, although there are web pages about them.]] There was a women’s handkerchief table filled with hankies of all kinds, a large selection of cookie cutters, board games, school supplies, home supplies, canning supplies, general merchandise, a hardware department, and much more. All this in a store about 5,000 square feet in size.
What about the Branson Landing? It’s a new development on Lake Taneycomo just east of downtown Branson. There are about four blocks of upscale businesses, condos, hotels, etc. in an outdoor mall arrangement along the lakefront. Want my personal opinion? They just ruined downtown Branson with this thing. I don’t care if I never go back to that place. Gaaakk!!
The Branson Café is still going strong and is still the hole in the wall that it always was. That is another must-see for those who relish in days gone by. It’s downtown across the street from the Five and Dime. It seats only about 35 people when full, the food is decent and the service is good.
I don’t know about you, but I like to go places like the Branson Café. The plastic “all from the same mold” restaurants in the upscale neighborhoods don’t hold a candle to the ambiance of a hole in the wall. There’s a certain comfort level…a certain feeling of belonging…a certain knowledge that there is something special going on here…that makes places such as the five and dime or the café places to savor and enjoy. You can have your 20 dollar entrée and $1.95 soft drink. Give me the 6 dollar roast beef lunch and the 50 cent coffee anytime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a young couple from our church who own a similar store in Depot Town, Ypsilanti. I have not yet made it over there, but I thought that we might pay them a visit when the kids are on Spring Break. Here's a link to their website: http://www.gordonsfiveanddime.com/