Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Am I Entitled?

OK, OK, so it’s been five days since a blog. I have an excuse. I started a new job on Monday and have been running my little (insert appropriate noun here) into the ground. But it’s coming along and I’m glad to be working.

Secondly, we are grandparents again. Scott and Laura had our second grandchild…Gabriel John. He’s obviously the cutest baby around these parts and seems to be doing well, as well as Mom and Dad. I went to Emporia yesterday evening for a quick visit, and came back late in the evening.

So there. I think I’m entitled, I suppose.

I was thinking on the way back last night about how old Gabriel would be when I would be leaving this earth. Oh, I know that I don’t really know that information, but was thinking that if I lived another 20 or so years (not out of the question at all), Gabriel might not even be married then.

His sister Rachel will be much the same way. She’s only a year and a half old now. Our kids will be in their mid to late 40’s, and it will be in the late 2020’s.

I don’t know why I thought of such a thing, but I’ve been saying for some time now that I have far more years behind me than I have in front of me. This kind of brought that home in a way that I haven’t thought of before now.

It is even more imperative that, should I be permitted to be a part of the growing years of Rachel and Gabriel, that my example be that of the love of Jesus Christ and that I convey to those kids the need to develop a lasting relationship with their Creator.

I don’t know that I could do anything any better for them than that.

No comments: