Saturday, July 19, 2008

Normal Weekends

I thought I’d say a few words before beginning the day. Yes, I know it’s 10am, but it’s on a Saturday and it’s been a hard week.

I look forward to the weekends for the change of pace and letdown that they provide. For example, today I got up at 9am, which I admit is late for me. Usually, I arouse around between 7:30 and 8am. Today, though, it just seemed like a good day to be lazy. I got dressed, went out and retrieved the paper, then read it while eating whole-grain cereal (Grape-Nuts).

I’m getting ready to load up the mower and take it to our other house and mow the yard that has been sadly neglected for the last month. I imagine the grass and weeds will be rather overgrown, and will probably take down the weed whacker as well.

This afternoon I’ll help with some housework and prepare my Sunday School lesson for tomorrow. The topic for the quarter is the names for Jesus. Each week we discuss a different name for Jesus, such as Son of Man, Good Shepherd, etc. Tomorrow we will discuss Jesus saying of Himself that He is The Way.

The yard here at home needs some work and I’ll probably do some of that this evening. Then tomorrow is church, which is always the highlight of the week (yes, that is really true). Tomorrow evening our small group will meet, which also is a great time.

Most of my weekends go something like the above. They can be punctuated with some shopping, visits by relatives or others, trips somewhere for the day or part of a day, or perhaps being called in to work for something. I never know.

So, time to get some coffee around, load up the mower, and head out. I should be back in about four hours or so. Hi-ho, Silver!!

No comments: