Tuesday, September 10, 2013

State Fair Time



It’s State Fair time again.  Of course, we are attending the fair, as we do just about every year.  And even though there are some things that change from year to year, a lot of what we find at the fair stays the same year after year.
That’s one of the things I like about the fair.  Yes, I don’t mind the newer things, and even wander through some of the buildings in order to cruise past some of the commercial booths.  Mostly, I’m looking for booths that are new that I may not otherwise know about.  I also like to go through the agricultural equipment outdoors and see the gigantic leaps that have been made in agri-technology over the past fifty or so years since I farmed with Dad.  And I do want you to know that I rode the zip line last year.  Don’t know if I’ll do that again or not.
But I also like those things that never change.  The train ride has been at the fair for how long now?  And although some track was rerouted a few years ago, the train is still the train.  I can barely twist myself into the seat and keep my feet and arms inside, but who cares?  The Old Mill ride changes very little from year to year.  The giant slide, the carnival rides, the Pronto Pups, the robot that roams the fair, the clown with the extra-long legs…all are as they’ve been for many years.
And the animals.  I like to take a quick look at the cattle, the hogs, and the rabbits, chickens, and other beasts that have been entered.  Now, that might not float your boat, but as a farmer’s son, I enjoy seeing barnyard animals up close and personal once again.
There weren’t any grandstand shows that we wanted to see this year, so we’re saving some money there.  Otherwise, we’re all in.  We’ll do the slide, the train, the Old Mill.  We will possibly ride on some of the carnival rides, buy cotton candy and funnel cakes, and maybe even a Pronto Pup or fried Twinkie.  We’ll probably have lunch there somewhere, and slurp something to drink.  The grandkids will be with us, so it will be a double treat!
I don’t know what it is about things like the Fair that makes people come back year after year after year.  Shoot, I don’t even know why I go back year after year.  But we do, and we enjoy the respite from the rest of life and living, even if it’s for only a few hours.
So enjoy those things that have become traditional with you and your family.  Embrace them even as you are called to embrace (or at least tolerate) the inevitable changes that come to all of us in our daily lives.  After all, some things NEVER change.

No comments: