Tuesday, September 03, 2013

TV and More



Yesterday, I was watching the evening news on TV.  I usually try to watch to catch up on the day’s events, and usually watch NBC.  Yesterday, however, there was a golf tournament on that channel, so I turned it to CBS.
I used to watch CBS news exclusively when Cronkite and company were in charge; however, it took a turn for the worse, I thought, during the Rather years and thereafter.  But I am well aware of the history of CBS news, and to this day believe the Cronkite years are a standard in news broadcast journalism.
On this particular broadcast, there was a celebration of the first time, 50 years ago yesterday, of a ½ hour evening news broadcast (expanded from 15 minutes).  They showed the black and white tape of the opening and the closing of the broadcast, with Mr. Cronkite at the helm.
I remember that broadcast.  I remember them going from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.  And I also remember that the expansion allowed film and tape footage that never would have been allowed in the smaller time format.  News has never been the same.
I also watched, over the weekend, reruns from the Perry Mason movie series that was done in the 1980’s.  Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale were much older, and William Hopper was no longer Paul Drake…he was replaced by William Katt, who played Paul Drake Jr. and was the real life son of Barbara Hale.
I also remember that series when it aired over a long period of time, and I remember the one hour Perry Mason prime time TV shows with Burr and William Tallman along with Hale and Hopper.
The kicker of all of this, however, was the theme song.  I love that music.  Why, I don’t know, but the music brings out memories and emotions that very few other theme songs of any kind do.  I don’t know about you, but I certainly appreciate going back in time once in a while by means of songs, sounds, smells, or sights that are forever imprinted somewhere in the cells of my brain.
So whether it’s the Gunsmoke theme, the Huntley/Brinkley newscast opening, or some other sight, sound or smell that triggers your memory senses, just do it.  Let go once in a while and savor the sensory images and memories that these things evoke.  You’ll enjoy it and you’ll appreciate both the past and present even more because of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there was a Like button, I would have pushed it. - Kathy