Saturday, January 21, 2006

Civility, Compromise, and Integrity

The wife and I are considering a trip to Lawrence this afternoon.  It would be time away from home and not for any particular reason.  We’re thinking about stopping by the Dole Institute on the KU campus and maybe going on to Overland Park to see our son.  Maybe we’ll go downtown and walk around some.  Lawrence has a wonderful downtown district that you need to see if you ever are there.
It seems many people, especially Kansans, have a story to tell about meeting Bob Dole, or interacting with him in some way.  I was at the 1976 Presidential campaign kickoff in Russell, and also visited with the man in 1981 out in Goodland.  He had stopped at the local television station where I worked.  He was waiting to be interviewed, and I found him in a hallway, alone, so I stopped, introduced myself, and asked some dumb question I don’t even remember.  I was just trying to make conversation with the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee.  I guess I thought he looked like he needed a friend.  I don’t know for sure, but I believe I also met him in my hometown when I was a youngster and he was running for congress.
It doesn’t matter what your political affiliation may be.  People of the caliber of Bob Dole don’t come around often.  We as a nation were indeed blessed to have been served by him, both in the war as well as in politics.  We as individuals could learn lessons in civility, compromise, and integrity from this man.  I am pleased that he came from Kansas roots.

No comments: