Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Searching

I did a search in the Hutchinson News today for any articles in their archives with the name of my hometown in them.  When I do this, obituaries pop up that have my home town name in them.  I then look through the search results and see those who have passed away.
Because my hometown is a small town, I know many of the people whose names are listed.  If I don’t know them, I know their families.  Each time I see the name of someone I know who has passed on, a little part of me seems to silently and invisibly travel to that person’s family, spouse, or whoever I know who remains.
Sometimes the one who dies is my age, was in my class at school, or was younger than I am.  In those cases, it is doubly difficult, as I am reminded that my time here on earth is by the grace of God.  And that’s a good thing for all of us to think about, regardless of age, health status, or any other measure.  We are here for a reason.  We are here for a purpose.  I wonder how many of us really know what that reason and purpose is.

No comments: