Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Old Geezers

My wife and I were in a local restaurant yesterday evening.  It  was rather quiet, and the tables were about 25% filled.  As I sat at our table, I noticed a young man and young woman in a booth in the corner.  They had evidently ordered and were waiting for their meals to be delivered.
They were obviously in some state of romantic interest.  They were quietly enjoying each other’s company, holding hands across the table, and visiting.  Before long, the young man got up, went to her side of the booth, and they sat together, she leaning on his shoulder.
I immediately thought of things that weren’t so complimentary that older people many times think about in situations such as this.  They were making too much of a display of their interest in one-another.  They were sitting on the same side of the table, for heaven’s sake.  They were not demonstrating the “proper” maturity and decorum.
Then the meals were brought to them.  They briefly looked over their plates, told the waitress everything was fine, then lowered their heads and she offered a prayer of thanksgiving for their food.  It wasn’t a “God is great, God is good” prayer.  It seemed, although I couldn’t understand the words, heartfelt and genuine.
Isn’t it amazing how much my attitude toward these young people changed in the blink of an eye.  No longer were they immature and improper.  They were now an example of what is right and good about our young people.
These youngsters were never loud, boisterous, or doing anything improper; nor were they drawing attention to themselves.  Yet I, based on totally biased, stereotypical, and unfounded reasoning, concluded that they were no different than other immature, selfish young people who didn’t have a clue about life and living.
In many ways, these young people may be more mature than I am.  After all, I would bet the farm that they didn’t stereotype my wife and me as old geezers (even if we did order off of the Over 55 menu) as we sat a few feet from them.  What do you think?

No comments: