Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Amazing Performance

I just finished listening to the inaugural performance of the new conductor of the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra. It was presented on PBS tonight and I tuned in, unfortunately, late into the program. The new conductor, Gustavo Dudamel, comes from South America, a 28 year old genius in his craft.
I tuned in to the concert about midway through their last piece, Mahler’s Symphony #1. For those who may not know, this piece is very long, 45 to 55 minutes. I tuned in with about 25 minutes left in the number. Mr. Dudamel conducted this piece with no musical score in front of him. He never, it seemed, missed a cue, never missed an entrance, never missed a change in dynamics, never missed anything.
I was transfixed by the performance and wished that I had tuned in to the beginning of it. I am impressed to no end by people who have the capacity to perform in such a manner as this orchestra and its conductor did during this performance.
God gives his creation amazing ability and talent. How we use that ability and talent is up to us. We aren’t all musicians or conductors. We do all have a unique ability, however, that the Creator expects us to use to make the world a better place.

1 comment:

Wild Flower said...

The Mahler Symphony #1 is extraordinary. It was one of the first concerts Dan and I went to hear the Wichita Symphony play.