Sunday, October 04, 2009

Off to visit

Yesterday, my brother, sister and I went to Hesston to visit some relatives on our mother’s side of the family. We went because Sis had ordered some pens that our uncle makes out of various kinds of wood. While there, other family members came to their house and we had a very pleasant visit for a good share of the afternoon. I have a few observations about the day and the visit that I’d like to put “on paper”, so to speak.
The weather this time of year is just delightful. It’s pleasantly cool, yet sunny and warmish if one is inclined to spend time in a sunbeam. The smells of fall are unique and so are the sights. It is all too quickly over come November.
While beautiful, fall is also the reminder that winter isn’t far away. Everything readies for the coming onslaught of cold, wind, and sometimes nasty precipitation. Some things don’t survive the winter…some by design and some because of weakness, old age, or other malady. And that applies to people as well as plants and critters.
While visiting with the relations, I was reminded that all of us in that room have far fewer autumns ahead of us than we’ve already experienced. And while none of us knows just how many seasonal changes we have ahead of us, we do know that our time here is limited. It makes me think yet again about whether or not I’m prepared for that time.
Our past helps make us who we are today. Blood heritage is important, but so too is the heritage that comes from both knowing and hearing about those who came before us…those who had no comprehension of an Internet or a cell phone…those who loved and mentored us and served as examples of what an individual human being could and should be at his or her core. These are the people; they and their stories are the “stuff” of which we are made today. They helped mold and shape us, and we owe them a debt we’ll never repay.
The place where my uncle and aunt live seems to be a wonderful place to spend one’s remaining months and years. My brother, sister and I have talked about whether that would be a good place for us when the time comes. I would think I could do that. Whether or not they could live that close to me (or I to them) may be another matter.
Days like yesterday have immense value, even though it seems like we sometimes don’t accomplish much of any importance. Value doesn’t always equate with importance, and sometimes what seems to be relatively unimportant ends up, in the final analysis, to be of great significance and meaning. I am blessed to have made the trip.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

My extended family has always meant a lot to me, but I think since all of my family of origin are no longer with us, you people and others are quite special. One of my regrets is that I cannot visit with my other nieces and nephews more. I'm so grateful you all came to see us yesterday. And I know that Mervin enjoyed it a lot as well. God's best to all of you.

WDK