Saturday, October 31, 2009

He Can Handle It

As I answer the door tonight and hand out Halloween candy to who I presume are mostly neighbor kids (although there may be some ringers in the assorted bunches of kids that come here), I was having a great time until one boy about 7 years old asked me if he could take one of each of the three kinds of candy I had on the tray. Of course, I said he could. He smiled broadly and waved and said “Thank you,” as he left the porch.
I don’t know why, but I thought as I went down the steps to the lower level of our house that this kid could well see the twenty-second century in 91 years. I then wondered, as I have at times before, just what kind of a world we are giving to him and those others like him who came to our door tonight. More important than that, I wondered what kind of a church and faith will we leave as we bow out of the picture in a comparatively few years.
I then realized that we have a whale of a lot of work to do if we are going to leave these kids with anything even resembling what we want for them. In both the secular and religious worlds, there is a lot wrong and a lot to be done. But there is a lot right with these worlds as well; it’s not all as doom and gloom as some would have us think.
I’ll not go into detail tonight regarding why I think there is hope. In any event, I’m not certain I can articulate that as I’d like. I could say something like “God is in control,” but that smacks to me like something one would say when he doesn’t know what else to say and only half believes it anyway.
Yes, of course God is in control. He always has been and evermore will be. Regardless of what it may look like from our perspective; regardless how much real pain and suffering is going on in our world sphere; regardless how we may try and fail, God has a different viewpoint and a different agenda. That’s why the Good Book says that God’s ways are not our ways. That’s why our job is to reflect the image if Jesus Christ. That’s why we are told to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord.
We’re not to solve all the world’s problems and we’re not to worry about those things about which we have no business worrying. We are to be salt, light, and leaven. If we just do what we’re asked to do, God indeed is in control and can handle all of the rest.

No comments: