Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thoughts for Today

I suppose I should be eloquent on this my 60th birth anniversary day. I could talk about how blessed I am to be part of a great family, living in the United States, with a good and decent job and lots of friends and acquaintances. I could describe what it feels like to have a memory of radio serial programs, the development of the polio vaccine, and wire recorders and also be able to instantly communicate with someone on the other side of the globe via Internet. I might discuss my first awareness of the Cold War and the rise of the Eastern Bloc of nations, and how we never, ever thought that in our lifetimes we would see the tearing down of the Berlin Wall and the disintegration of the Soviet Union…yet it has been about 20 years since that has happened. Or I could talk about the extraordinary ride I’ve had with the same incredible woman for the past 35 years and some months…a ride that probably no one who truly knew how we met would have given fifteen cents as a bet that it would last.
I won’t do any of that. Instead, I want to recommend a book to you. Yes, you heard correctly. I want to recommend a book to you. It’s an easy read, but is packed with wisdom and good sense. I read this book during our stay here at Branson, and think it can easily change how you think about your job, your relationship with others, and your outlook on life. Other than the Bible, this book has provoked more thought and introspection in me than any other. I think you’ll agree that this book is well worth the money you spend on it.
Oh, the book? The title is Lunchmeat & Life Lessons. The author is Mary B. Lucas, B.D. By the way, B.D. stands for Butcher’s Daughter. You’ll get the connection rather quickly upon reading the first few words of the book.
Mary is a Kansan, and writes with a flair for putting the obvious, yet difficult, into a form that we not only can understand, but also put into practice. And although the book at times is a little “mushy” and predictable, the lessons in it are timeless.
Why, you ask, would I recommend a book on my 60th birthday? Because when I find myself at this age, I also find myself knowing that I not only don’t know it all, but know very little; that I want to make the most of the days I have left and the wisdom in this book will help me do just that. And it might just help you a little, too, in your life and your work.
So, from one who has witnessed the delivery of five-gallon cream cans full of unpasteurized, natural cream off of the farm to the train depot for eventual delivery via a literal “milk run” train to a dairy, to who-knows who, who may read these words, I commend not only God’s words, the Bible, to you as the first and prime teacher in life-living, I also commend Lunchmeat & Life Lessons to you as one of perhaps many good supplements to that Book of books.
The woman is waiting for me to end this so we can go for a walk during the halftime of the Texas Oklahoma game. I’m off.

1 comment:

Mary Lucas said...

Hello and Happy Belated Birthday from the Butcher's Daughter! I just wanted you to know how touched I was by your Birthday Blog and your kind words about the book I wrote about my Father. I must tell you as a result of getting the Google Alert on your Blog I have had a chance to read many of your posts this evening and I am very impressed with your writing skills as well. I am also curious how and where you found the book to begin with? I would love to send you a signed copy as a Birthday gift if you would like. My contact information is in the back of the book if you want to email me with your address I will send one your way. Again thank you and I am wishing you all the best! Mary Lucas