Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Rains Came Down

“The rains came down and the floods came up…”  So goes the lyrics to a children’s song about the parable told by Jesus of the wise man and the foolish man.  Remember, the wise man built his house on the rock, but the foolish man built his house on the sand.  When the storm came, the house on the rock stood, but the house on the sand washed away.
Have you ever felt that your life was resting on a sandy underpinning, and that underpinning was slowly and inexorably washing away?  You felt like you needed to get yourself on something more solid and secure?
I don’t necessarily feel that way, but there have been times in the last week or two when I thought briefly that all order and decorum was slipping away out from under me and I was sliding toward some kind of abyss.
That never happened, though, because something under me caught me and kept me from washing away.  Maybe it was a rocky foundation…maybe it was something else.  I don’t know, but I do know that I’m grateful to Whoever it was that put that thing that caught me under me.

No comments: