Friday, September 15, 2006

Giving Account

Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later.  I’m fighting a virus (cold) that I’m sure I picked up from one of the girls, who probably picked it up in school, etc.  I haven’t had a good cold for several years, and a warm weather cold has been even more of a rarity for me lately.
They say it takes about a week to shake a cold if you treat it and seven days if you don’t.  I prefer, however, to treat the symptoms, which tends to make things much more tolerable for me.  Hence the trip to Dillons a few minutes ago to pick up some antihistamine, which will dovetail nicely with my Tylenol and Sudafed.
I wonder what people in the olden days did before they had Dimetapp, Coricidin, Robitussin, and all the rest.  Can you imagine a cowboy on the prairie herding cattle and suffering from a cold…or worse yet, from allergies kicked up by the dust and pollen of the prairie?  What about those who suffered from migraines, hay fever, and other maladies?  And I won’t even go into hemorrhoids and those kinds of ailments.
The good, or even tolerable days were probably fewer and farther between in those days.  The blessing was that many people didn’t live long enough to have a lot of bad days.  Diabetes was always fatal.  Strokes, heart attacks, cancers, etc., were a scourge.  And even catching the flu was a serious matter, many times ending in death or at least a weakened condition.
We have much for which to thank our Creator.  We also have much for which to give account one day.

No comments: