Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Anger Management

I was going down the hall at work the other day when I came up on a therapist walking a resident back to her room after a therapy session. They were visiting about something, and as I got closer, I overheard the resident say to the therapist, “...I thought you were going to be mad at me.”
Now, I know this therapist. She's probably one of the most even-keeled people here. Even at that, I have never, repeat NEVER, seen any staff here lash out in anger at a resident. Yes, we become somewhat frustrated at times, knowing that a resident has the ability to make positive and good decisions for his/her life, but instead chooses to continue a life of dependence. Yes, we become frustrated at times, as other staff for whatever reason chooses to not fulfill his/her work obligations. But anger at residents? No.
Residents sometimes make messes. Residents sometimes wander. Residents sometimes make extra work for staff. Residents sometimes make poor choices. We know that's part of the job here. We know that we will have to deal with these kinds of things. Anger or lashing out at residents should have no part in our work lives.
The sad part of all of this is that the resident I overheard thought, rightly or wrongly, that whatever it was she did was going to anger a therapist. This upsets me. This resident should feel that in a nursing home, of all places, she would be safe and well-cared for.
I don't know what her experiences have been insofar as long term care is concerned. I would hope that what I heard her say was said without having to have gone through some kind of anger tirade on the part of a staffer somewhere. But I suspect that somewhere, some time, someone whose job it was to care for her got angry and stupid and lashed out at her in some way.
We can do better than that.

No comments: