Sunday, April 04, 2010

At Peace

As I slow down this evening, ever mindful of the inexorable march of time toward Monday, I am in a rather contemplative mood right now. I just came in from sitting on the back porch, listening to the birds, watching folks walk the path in the park behind the house, and absorbing the cool breeze.
We went to sunrise services this morning. Our church is on the banks of the Arkansas River downtown, and we had services down on the bank, along with some ducks, runners and walkers, traffic, some homeless under the 1st Street bridge, geese, and a train or two. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a sunrise service quite like that…not the service itself, but the extras that were part of the environment. Prior sunrise services since we’ve been here have been held inside due to bad weather, so this is the first time in several years we’ve been able to be out.
We then dismissed for a continental breakfast, which was actually very complete, and the regular services inside, sans Sunday School classes. I always go away from that place refreshed and happy that I’m part of that family. Yes, I know we as Christians are to do our work outside the walls of the church building. But it’s necessary also to meet together to refresh and renew after a week spent outside those building walls, living, loving, and longing.
We had lunch with both of our sons and the grandkids; then grandma went with her sis and the others to help our younger pack, as they’re moving in a few weeks to a new home they’ve purchased. Since my daughter in-law is 8 months pregnant, it’s going to be difficult for her, so we’re helping more than we might otherwise.
I stayed here and prepared for a birthday shindig tomorrow evening for my niece. There promises to be quite a few here, and I cut the grass, cleaned up, threw away trash, and generally got things ready. It should be fun tomorrow.
Now, it seems that the evening should last forever. It’s so nice out, I’m at peace, and all is right, it seems, with the world. I know that isn’t really true. All I have to do is look at the news or think about going to work at the home. But for now, I’ll enjoy the minutes we have left in this evening and long for a time when this kind of peace is not fleeting, but forever.

No comments: