Saturday, April 17, 2010

No Slump

I’m old enough to remember watching Yogi Berra, the legendary New York Yankees catcher (and later a manager and/or coach for the Yankees, the Mets, and the Astros) on television. He would be on the “Game of the Week”, with commentators Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese (themselves legends in baseball and a hoot to listen to as they commented on the game).
Yogi had an extraordinary career, and is widely regarded as the best catcher to ever play the game. One of his attributes, however, had nothing to do with baseball. He had a great knack for creating memorable quotes which, unless one thinks about what is really said, seem to make sense.
I ran across a web page with quotes attributed to Mr. Berra. Herewith are some of the ones I like best.

“I wish I had an answer to that because I’m tired of answering that question.”
“I didn’t really say everything I said.” (This quote is regularly expropriated by politicians of various stripes; however, they say it in words that aren’t quite as obvious as this.)
“You should always go to other people’s funerals; otherwise, they won’t come to yours.”
“I made a wrong mistake.” (If politicians would only use this once in awhile…)
“Nobody goes there anymore; it’s too crowded.”
“You can observe a lot just by watchin’”.
“You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.”
“I couldn’t tell if the streaker was a man or a woman because it had a bag on it’s head.”
“This is like déjà vu all over again.”
“Slump? I ain’t in no slump. I just ain’t hitting.”

I’m sure you can look his quotes up on your own, and there are some you may enjoy better than mine. There are, however, some gems of wisdom in the mis-mesh of words he uses.
You can indeed observe a lot by watching. Sometimes it’s better to shut one’s mouth and look around and listen to what’s going on. Someone once said, “You can’t learn anything while you’re talking.” Some folks I know are first class examples of that.
The slump quote is also a gem. Refusing to carry oneself to the depths of despair by beating oneself up with words is a great attribute to have. No slump…I’m just not hitting right now.
Déjà vu.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Perhaps one of the most quoted of Yogi's quotes is, "It ain't over 'till its over." It seems that Yogi made life seem simpler with his words of "wisdom."