Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Masters

I’m watching the Masters tournament today. I’m not much of a golfer, and golf on TV is not my idea of the most entertaining thing to do. However, we recently purchased an HDTV, and of course Tiger. Woods is playing his first tournament since coming back. It’s been somewhat interesting.
First, in high definition, one can have a much greater appreciation for the environment of a golf course. You can see blades of grass, veins in leaves, sticks on the ground, and stubble on chins. Oh, wait. Stubble isn’t really environmental, is it. In any event, the clarity of the picture is rather amazing and an enjoyment to see.
Second, I wish Mr. Woods well. I am not a fan of crude jokes or other sanctimonious drivel aimed at him or anyone else. We all are abject failures in life. Some of us have our failures displayed for all the world to see; a lot of us manage to keep them relatively quiet and out of the news. It doesn’t matter to me that he does not profess Christianity, or that he may or may not be sincere in his “recovery”. Nor does it matter to me if he wins (which at this point seems unlikely), or if he just places well. I wish him to do well.
Third, to keep all of this in perspective, at least for me, the microphones regularly pick up the sounds of birds nearby in the trees, calling out their songs. That may not mean much to you, and you may think this a stretch, but that tells me that regardless of what is going on at that place from a human perspective, there is another world there; one that has been there for eons past, and one that will remain (assuming the creation itself remains) for years to come. Human accomplishments, while noteworthy, cannot hold a candle to the inexorable march of time and the work of the Creator in upholding His handiwork day after day, year after year, eon after eon.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Tiger gets all the media coverage but I think Mickelson deserves more than he gets. He's a great golfer and my personal favorite. It seems to me that the news media people could spend a bit more of their time covering some of the other great golfers that are on the circuit.