Saturday, November 26, 2011

Forever Changed

Normally this time of year, I’d blog about being thankful and the family get-togethers and the food and all the blessings we enjoy each day. And that’s all true, of course, and the traditions continue this year as they have for many years past and gone. This year, however, is a little different as far as my internal thinking process goes. Now, that may sound a little strange to some, but for some reason I seem to have to process things that are internal to me, especially as they may relate to external circumstances, and especially as they may relate to things like holidays, trips, etc.
This year, while I attend family get-togethers, listen to the wife in the kitchen, hear Christmas songs on the CD player, and put the finishing touches on the outdoor display, I am thinking especially about those I’ve had in my life that are in more trying circumstances. I think especially about some of the children I see in latchkey each day (I volunteer as a tutor in an after-school latchkey program). I think especially of those in our church who have gone through and are going through tough times right now. I think of family that are having medical issues and are having to make adjustments to their lives and living because of it. And I think especially of a pastor who was at our church when I was a teen, who now is in Via Christi with cancer and may be in his last days and weeks.
I suppose I could think about the good things that are external…good health, as far as we know, with our grandkids, our kids, and most of our family. Plenty to eat and wear, and a place for everyone to be under a roof with comfortable surroundings. Good friends and neighbors who would do for me if needed, without question. But somehow, this year, I am more contemplative, more thoughtful, more reflective.
Even as I praise my God for His wonderful love, care, and compassion, I am somewhat restive knowing that there is a lot of pain and suffering in this world, and there’s not much I can do about a lot of it. I know, I know, I can’t fix everything, but I can do something. And I’m glad that I am doing something, and am looking for more somethings that I can do. Somehow, I think I won’t have to look very long or hard before another something plops into my lap.
So, as you continue to enjoy the holidays, know that I will enjoy them too. Just be aware that there are those in the world that aren’t having the same enjoyment as you, and if you’re not doing something to help, look around a little. Something will fall into your life and you’ll be forever changed and grateful for the opportunity.

No comments: