Friday, November 11, 2011

Here and There

Things I’ve experienced recently:

Driving along McLean Blvd. along the Arkansas River in downtown Wichita, I noticed an older man in the riverbed, sitting on a lawn chair, with a fishing line thrown into the stream portion of the river. They’ve lowered the river’s water level in order to work on a bridge, so there are portions of the normally covered riverbed that are dry. Whether he caught anything or not was probably not his biggest issue. I rather imagine he was thoroughly enjoying the experience.
I went to a new supermarket a few days ago (Wal Mart Neighborhood Market). When I checked out, I had about a dozen items, so went to the self-checkout. I got through about three items when the checkout machine told me I had an “unknown item” in the bagging area and refused to continue. A woman came by and reset the machine. I continued and got a couple more items scanned when the machine did the same thing. This time, no one came by and I had no way to call anyone over. I threw everything I had checked out back into the cart, backed out, and went to a checkout with a person manning it. I looked at the non-working checkout as I left the store. On the screen was, “Please wait for a manager.” I didn’t bother.
At a local store today, as I completed my purchases, both clerks I dealt with said, “Thank You,” after we completed our business. My, that was refreshing…sure beats a, “There ya’ go,” or the “stare” which says, “You can leave now.” What ever happened to, “Thank you, we appreciate your business?”
The Texas Roadhouse was giving veterans a break on the noon meal today. At 11am, the line went out the door, down the sidewalk, and around the back of the building. At 12:30 it was shorter, but still out the door and down the walk. Good for Texas Roadhouse and all the others who provided some kind of “kindness” for veterans today.
I recently saw a dog being walked by a man who had his canine friend on what must have been a 40 foot leash. The dog was happy to have that much room to run around in, but I wonder what the man would do when he came near someone else.
In going to a large supermarket (Dillons) a few days ago to get a large can of ground decaf coffee, I discovered that they had none. And there was no place on the shelf for any. Dillons has lots of “stuff”, but not that much “variety” in some departments unless you’re wanting sushi, organic soy milk, or tomatoes that bounce on the floor when dropped. There are several other items Dillons does not carry, which other stores do have. I guess I’ll go to the other stores.
How difficult is it to look and see what direction everyone is walking on the walking track at the “Y”, then walk in the same direction? Besides, there is a sign on the wall that has arrows which point the right way to walk. Sheesh.
I woke up this morning, was able to get out of bed, and have enjoyed the day relatively pain free and comfortable. Thank you, Lord.

No comments: