Saturday, November 19, 2011

Make Someone's Day

We went to Pratt today to see my cousin. She’s in her 80’s and in an adult care home. She has only a son in her close family, who does not visit her or seem to care for her. So we make the trip from Wichita, my sister and I, about once a month usually on a Saturday to see her, visit a few minutes, play and sing some hymns, and come back to Wichita.
Today we took my niece with us…a nice addition and a very welcome visitor. The folks who live at the home know us by now and several gather in the sitting room when we start to play and sing and sing along with us. We enjoy these folks and would like to visit there about once a month if we can.
We visit during travel, and usually stop in Kingman for a bite to eat at about noon. Today, we stopped at the Kingman cemetery to check on the grave site for a friend of my niece. We found it after a few minutes of looking. Getting back to Wichita about 2pm, I then put the Christmas lights up outside. That took me until about dark.
As I think back to our visit in Pratt, I am reminded that there are many, many people in facilities like that, or home bound for some reason who would love to hear from someone. You may well know someone who is shut in in some way. Maybe all you can do it phone. But probably, you could visit if you really wanted to do so. Think about it, then act. You’ll be blessed, and you’ll lift the spirits of someone who may go day after day without social contact.

No comments: