Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Choir

As I sit at my computer, I have KPR (Kansas Public Radio) on the speakers.  I’ve been listening to the music of the holidays in my vehicle, and now through the wonder of streaming audio, it’s coming out of my computer.
As I came back from a visit with church members this morning, a choir was singing “Gloria” on the radio.  I thought back to those times when I was part of a choir that sang songs such as this.  I was in high school choirs long ago, and have been part of church choirs, community choirs, and other choirs for all my life.  I’ve sung Hark The Herald Angels Sing, Sleigh Ride, The Heavens are Telling, The Messiah, Carol of the Bells, Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming, and scores of others.
I long to sing in a choir again.  There’s something about hearing the combined voices of others along with yours that tells you that you are part of something special…something greater than you alone, and something greater than all of the individual selves.  When a choir “gets it” and does the music right, it truly is an awesome thing to be part of that.
That kind of electricity in a group demands that each one give of him or herself in a way that opens up the heart and makes one vulnerable.  It seems that it is this combined openness and vulnerability that the audience as well as the choir feeds upon.  The feeling is indescribable, and is one to be savored and treasured.
I have no clue whether I will ever be part of a choir again.  My voice never was really good, and it certainly isn’t what it used to be.  So many people have more talent and ability in that area that I’m not sure it will happen.  But just in case it does, I will be ready.  I’m ready to take a chance…to become vulnerable.  It’s worth it.

No comments: