Monday, December 12, 2005

Leaving the Past Behind

For virtually all of my life, I have lived and worked in rural Kansas. Except for a time in the late 1960's (now, that dates me) when I lived and went to school in Wichita, and a time in the early 1980's when we lived in Oklahoma, I have enjoyed the good life that is to be found in rural Kansas.
That all changed about a year ago when finding work meant moving to Topeka. Many folks wouldn't consider this city to be a large one, but for a plain-spoken farm boy from rural America, this is truly the big city. Not only that, but it is also the capital of Kansas. What a deal.
In a very real way, I've used this past year to leave the past behind and "press on" as Paul the Apostle says somewhere in his writings. City life is growing on me. The noise and crowded streets no longer bother me as they used to do. I no longer look at each person I meet, thinking that I should wave at them on the chance that I also should know them. Instead, there is a wonderful sense of anonymity that comes from living here.
Many people wouldn't understand that, and would welcome someone...anyone...knowing and recognizing that they exist. I already have that luxury. I have family on both sides that love and care for me. My wife is the joy of my life. My sons are getting married next year, and I have many friends from past associations, residences, and work places.
I have no clue how often I'll write, or even if I will continue this. Nor do I know how many, if any, will read this. We'll see. Welcome.

No comments: