Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Capturing the Essence

I did something this morning that I don’t often do.  I turned on the TV while reading the morning paper.  I turned to the channel with “The Beverly Hillbillies” on in rerun.  For those who don’t know, that show dominated the ratings in the 1960’s and I think early 1970’s.  It is still on in rerun, and probably has been running continuously since it was taken off prime time years ago.
Although all who were on the show were good actors, the one who makes the show is Jethro, played by Max Baer.  Mr. Baer captured the essence of his character in a way that few actors do, and is the lifeblood and reason for the longevity of that show.
Many people go through life with a nagging sense of unfulfillment and restlessness, but have not a clue where to find relief.  Unlike Mr. Baer as he is in character, they haven’t captured, I think, the essence of who they are and their purpose for being.  To do that requires getting out of oneself and out of the routine of the greed and gimme culture into which we are immersed.  And there are very few who are truly successful in that requirement.  Are you one of them?

No comments: