Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Soup Line

I normally don’t do two blogs in one day.  That’s OK, though.  If you didn’t want to read it, you wouldn’t be on my site.
I spent some time at the local Rescue Mission this morning.  The local evangelical association held it’s monthly meeting there, and for lunch we went through the soup line just as did everyone else who came there today.
I haven’t been to a mission since I was a teenager.  I was again humbled by God during that visit.  Yes, there were the usual (I know I’m stereotyping here) bums and down-and-outers.  They aren’t any less God’s children than I am.  In addition, it’s only by God’s grace that I am not counted among that group.  Does that make me a better person than they?  Don’t make me laugh.
There were also young moms with kids, men nicely dressed, and couples…some younger, some older…who ate there.  I have no clue why they are there, and it doesn’t matter.  The fact is they are there.  Moreover, they have need.  Yes, and they are children of God.  The mission feeds anyone who comes in the door, for whatever reason.
I’ll save the “Why are we arguing about petty issues in our church while people are hungry and cold?” thing for another blog.  For now, what have I done to “give a cup of cold water” recently?  Or ever?  Am I satisfied with sending some pittance to a charitable place once in awhile?  Or does Jesus ask for more than that?

No comments: