Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Why Things Happen

Today, I visited with an older lady in our church.  She offered to make me coffee if I’d stop by about 10am today, and I can’t turn down a cup of nectar from the coffee bean.  We had a pleasant chat, talking about this and that.  Before I knew it, I needed to go as I had an appointment in a few minutes.
On the way out, she asked if I knew anyone who could use an overcoat.  She said her husband had passed away several years ago, and his coat was just hanging in the closet not doing anyone any good.  It was a nice one, size 42.
I told her I would find a good home for the coat, then tell her what I did with it.  She thanked me and we parted company.  I didn’t think much about that incident until later in the day.
I wonder why she thought about giving away that coat over four years after her husband’s death.  And why did she see fit to give it to me?  And why at that time?  I know this isn’t an earth-shaking thing, but sometimes things happen in life that just can’t be explained by logic or our view of events that occurred or are occurring.  This was one of those things.
I will do my best to find someone in need who needs a size 42 coat.  And I will always remember being just a little puzzled at the turn of events that prompted my having it in the first place.

No comments: