Thursday, February 23, 2006

Who Else Can I Go To?

Today started out rather well, but quickly became a kind of a downer.  I got an email from my sis this morning saying that Anthony Burger, pianist and Southern Gospel performer, had passed away suddenly while in concert and on stage.  He was 44 years old.  Mr. Burger was a staple on the Gaither Homecoming videos and in their live concerts, playing accompaniment as well as solo performances.
Although I did not personally know the man, I had the greatest respect for his abilities as a musician, and have many videos and recordings of him at work.  The fact that he left a family at age 44 is even harder to swallow.
I don’t understand why things happen the way they do.  I have no clue why things like this work out like they do.  And I have nothing to say to the family, or anyone in a situation like this.  Words do little.  They provide little comfort, little solace, and no answers, because there aren’t any.
“Do you trust me?”  “Will you follow me?”  “Will you let me be your God, even though you don’t understand and can’t figure out what I’m doing or where I’m going?”  That’s all I have, God.  Who else can I go to but you?

No comments: