Monday, February 26, 2007

Giving Meaning

I was outdoors last Friday when I heard geese up in the air, honking as they traveled. I normally don’t think much of that kind of thing as Wichita has more geese than we know what to do with. The Arkansas River, lack of natural predators, and various ponds and bodies of water in housing developments make a great environment for them.
But for some reason, I looked up. Turns out these geese weren’t the coddled urban variety, but were very high in the air in the classic “V” shape. These geese were travelers, migrators (my spell checker doesn’t know what to do with that word). And they were traveling north. They were taking advantage of a strong southerly wind, honking as they went. I think this is about the earliest I have ever seen geese migrate back north.
Of course, many folks would attach all kinds of meaning to this sighting, citing global warming or some such. And that may all be true. I, however, was just pleased that I looked up and caught a glimpse of the marvelous nature all around us. These kinds of things sort of make my day.
I hope you find things in your day that make it special, pleasant, and fulfilling. If you don’t regularly do that, maybe you need to expend a little energy to discover those things in your world that give life meaning. Life is indeed worth living no matter what the circumstances. The great writer of first century Christian literature, Paul of Tarsus, said, “I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians chapter 4.

No comments: