Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Wonderful World

In church today we sang number 180 in the songbook. Oh, you don’t know that one, do you, because you don’t have the same book that we have. OK. It is Jesus Is Lord and goes like this:

Jesus is Lord, my redeemer,
How He loves me, how I love him.
He is risen, He is coming,
Lord come quickly, Hallelujah.

In the singing of the song, the men start out and the women follow with their part. On the last verse, there is a female descant that goes like this:

He was born to die on Calvary’s tree
To redeem a lost humanity.
Conqu’ring death He rose triumphantly;
And He reigns thru all eternity.

Now, these words don’t mean nearly as much seeing them on a page as they did when we sang them this morning. We sing acappella in our church, and the descant was just gorgeous. Female voices joined in song are truly God’s handiwork and a part of God’s design for beauty and grace.
I am blessed to be able to hear voices praising in song, symphonies immersed in music, and crows outside caw-ing in the trees. What a wonderful world this is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was always one of my favorites to do when I was in Emporia. In fact, I had one of the older ladies in the congregation ask me to lead "Jesus is Lord" on more than one occasion, after they found out I was leading singing that evening. The reasoning was because "You're the only person who ever picks that song and I just love it because it's so beautiful." Definitely in my top three.