Sunday, February 11, 2007

This Is the Day

I love caring for girls. I had only been out of our room for a minute or two when an “issue” came forth regarding one of the girls hogging the bathroom and taking a tub bath in the morning when three other people needed to use the bathroom. Of course, the tub bath person was totally miffed at having people knock on the bathroom door, and the others were miffed because the tub bath person ran the water heater dry.
I managed to quell the developing revolt and lynching in the hallway and will issue an edict today that henceforth, all bathing in the morning hours will be shower only and only for ten minutes or less. I know where the hot water valve is in the basement and will readily cut off the hot water to the offender who showers longer than 10 minutes. Having to complete the shower in cold water may help deter would-be slackers.
Of course, that won’t be the only consequence. Extra chores, room time, or other consequences will reinforce the lesson.
---30 minutes later---Now I have two girls on thirty minutes chair time for having their bedroom door closed when no one was changing or otherwise needing it closed. One of those in the chair also has the consequence of going to church today without any makeup because she was applying it in her room, yet another infraction.
It’s been an interesting morning so far, and promises to get even better as the day lurches onward. I’ve yet to do room checks, which will come in 10 minutes (I know at least a couple of areas aren’t picked up, and won’t be by the “deadline”. How do I know that? I dunno…I guess a house dad’s intuition). We may have attitude issues in church or later that we’ll need to deal with, ad infinitum.
“This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

No comments: