Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Holidays and Such

Today is Valentine’s Day. I’m not sure of the origin of the day and don’t really care. To me, it’s not a big deal; just as any other holiday isn’t a big deal. We aren’t doing much here in the cottage either, but one of the girls did volunteer to get up early and fix heart-shaped pancakes. She also cut out a heart shape from the middle of a slice of bread and put an egg into it and cooked it. The effort was laudable, even if not all of the pancakes and eggs were perfect.
Look at the things we celebrate during any given year. The new year. Love. Our honored dead. The independence of our nation. The laborer. God’s providence and goodness. The birth of Jesus. Yes, I know there are many, many others, but these seem to be the big ones.
Why do we choose these things? Why not other things that are also important? I don’t know, but I do know that even though I don’t make much of a to-do about holidays, life would be much more dull and routine without the occasional break.
So, if you’re like me and don’t do much with holidays, at least enjoy the break from the mundane and savor the enjoyment of others as they celebrate. Happy Valentine’s Day.

No comments: