Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Concrete Has Set

I am struck by the  notion that some apparently small, innocent thing can set the tone for the whole day to come, either in a positive or negative way.  Why is it that we allow such to influence so much of our time and energy?
When I went to the garage this morning to back out, I had to remember that last night, I saw a pickup and trailer parked out back behind our garage.  I had to tell myself to not just blindly back out and run into it.
The place where we live has garages that open to the back of the lot.  There is an asphalt drive back to the garages, and we are either supposed to park in the garage or out on the street.  However, a neighbor decided to park out back in front of my garage for the night.  It wouldn’t be so bad, but this seems to be a more-or-less regular occurrence now days with them.  I think they have extra people living in the townhouse, and there aren’t enough parking spaces in the garage to hold everyone.  They don’t want to park on the street because of vandalism, etc.  I can understand that.
As I left the garage this morning, I sort of dwelt on the inconvenience to myself, and mentally chided the neighbor for his seeming uncaring attitude toward civility and getting along.  However, my attitude for the day has now been set on grumpy.  I’m having a hard time getting past that, and on to the things that really matter.  No, I don’t exude a bright and perky attitude normally, but at least I can get out of this bearish funk I’m in now, can’t I?  Or is the concrete already set for the day?

1 comment:

Wild Flower said...

HA. I published my comment for THIS blog entry on the entry you did for Tuesday. If you would delete that, I'll add it here. What I SAID was, "The older you get, the faster the concrete cures."