Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Lesson From Strawberries

I was in the store the other day doing the grocery shopping (that’s one of my jobs).  We eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, so I was in the produce department looking over some strawberries that were on sale.  I always scrutinize the package by turning it over and looking for deterioration.
Several of the packs had “fuzzies” growing on one or more of the berries.  This meant that the berries were older.  That probably was why they had such a good price on them.  I carefully selected a pack that didn’t have fuzzies and appeared to be in good shape.  While I was there, a couple other people quickly dashed past the display and grabbed whichever pack happened to be near.  I thought to myself that those people, by not taking time to look, may well be disappointed when they get home and see fuzzies growing on their berries.
I got home and started to prepare the berries.  To my dismay, I found several in the package that I had to toss, as they were soft and turning brown.  I couldn’t see that in the store, and only would have found it had I opened the pack and taken out all of the berries.  There were enough good ones, however, that the price was still a good one and I think we did OK on that end.
The point is that I felt like I somehow did better and was a better shopper than those who grabbed the first box they saw.  In reality, I ended up no better than they.  Pride goes before a fall.  This was a relatively innocent reminder to me that I need to be a little less full of myself and clothe myself with a little more humility.

No comments: