Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Weekend

It’s been a few days since I’ve blogged, and I’ve gone a few miles in those days.  Friday, my brother and I went to the western fringes of St. Louis and picked up a motorcycle he purchased on EBay.  We loaded it into the back of my pickup and drove it back to Topeka.  From there, he drove it on to his place and left me the car he drove up here.
Over the weekend, we spent time with the in-laws in Central Kansas.  We enjoyed the annual reunion, as well as an ice cream feast that evening.  We also went to see my family in South Central Kansas and stopped at the cemetery where much of my family is buried.  And again, we enjoyed a cookout and more homemade ice cream.
Back home in Topeka, we discovered that earlier in the day it rained cats and dogs, filling the Shunga Creek and causing flooding in the city.  Normally, we don’t hear much about flooding in Topeka (except the big flood last year up north of town), but this rain evidently came hard and fast and flooded intersections, roadways, etc.
We’re expecting another inch or so tonight, and a lot of that will run off since the ground is already wet.  But that’s what happens in Eastern Kansas.  We get rain, then we get more.  Sometimes we get rather dry between rains, but it usually comes through before it gets really bad.
I’m glad to be back home.

No comments: