Thursday, May 25, 2006

My World

I can’t remember the last time I visited EBay on the Internet.  It’s been years.  I don’t have an account there, don’t have PayPal, have never bought anything on EBay (and seldom make purchases otherwise on the Internet), and generally stay away.  But today I went there and poked around for about 15 minutes.
What a marketplace!!  There are items with no bids, or bids of one cent, and items with starting bids of many hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Everything from phony currency (Millennium Dollars, the seller says) to vacuum cleaner bags can be bought or sold with just a few clicks of the mouse button.
I guess I’m old fashioned.  I don’t do EBay; I don’t do garage sales.  I try to stay away from farm auctions (they don’t do many of those in Topeka anyway) and don’t have much to do with sidewalk sales and other similar things.
If I want to purchase something, I find out who is selling it, go there, and buy it.  Only if no one has what I need will I consider the Internet.  This business of buying sight-unseen is just a little too over-the-top for me in most instances.
Am I really too old-fashioned?  Is it time for me to check out and let others into my space?  And what about the notion that we all have to help support the economy by circulating money as fast as we can?
Yes, I am old-fashioned, and relish in it; I have no intention of checking out just yet; and those who talk of supporting the economy are also the ones who are on the receiving end of the money circulation thing…not the giving end.  Welcome to my world, for a change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have some church friends who just sold a camper for $6K+ on Ebay, plus our church administrator sells a lot of used cars on Ebay motors. I can't fathom buying such stuff sight unseen, but I guess people do it all the time. Not me.