Friday, May 05, 2006

A Pity Party

Listen to these words from a woman named Marilyn.  “I get up every day and talk to God, thanking him for what he has done for me.  I know that somewhere, someone has it much worse than we do.  It’s okay to put pride aside and do what you have to do to begin again.”
That is part of a little article about Marilyn and her family, who are living right now at the Topeka Rescue Mission.  The article is in the monthly Mission newsletter.  Marilyn has a husband and four kids.  She’s working in an internship in a medical clinic, hoping that when she finishes, she will have skills that an employer will pay for.
I’m going to save this issue.  Whenever I think I need a pity party for myself, I’m going to open the pages and read again the stories of Marilyn, Kelly, and others who have had to make the Rescue Mission their home for the past while.  I’m going to read about their faith, the thanksgiving that they offer to God Almighty, and the hope that is within them.
Then I’m going to be ashamed of myself and vow once again to do my best to avoid feeling sorry for myself.

No comments: