Friday, June 23, 2006

A Good Lesson

I was following a kind of fancy pickup home just a few minutes ago.  The driving habits of this particular driver were different from many who drive such fancy wheels.  He accelerated reasonably from the stop light.  He drove in the right hand lane.  He drove the speed limit or less.  I was impressed.
Then I saw a bumper sticker on his rear bumper.  It said, “Live so the preacher won’t have to lie at your funeral.”
Unlike many with the fish symbols on their cars or some other kind of overtly religious bumper stickers…who race to beat the red lights and swerve in front of others, this man seemed to be living the life that was alluded to by his bumper sticker.
I followed him for a couple of miles, through two or three turns and stops.  I actually enjoyed following him, and even more, I thought about that sticker.
I’ve preached a few funerals.  No more than I’ve preached, it was hard sometimes to do it without deceiving people into thinking the deceased was somehow more righteous than he/she was.  Thanks, friend, for the lesson this morning.

No comments: