Thursday, June 15, 2006

Making Lemonade

It’s already windy today.  The wind promises to bring with it the heat and summer-y feeling that comes on a day like this.  Any walking, errands or other things that need to be done outside the confines of the four walls I probably should do this morning.  However, if I’m normal I’ll not get to them, saving them instead for later on in the afternoon when traffic becomes heavy and the heat and wind are truly oppressive.
I see that Western Kansas hit the century mark yesterday.  They’ll probably do it again today.  The wind probably will blow there, too.  And although they also complain at times about the weather, it’s not as pervasive as it is in Eastern Kansas.
I think those in rural areas (no, I don’t consider someone who lives in Shawnee County to be a rural resident regardless of where he lives in the county…contrary to what they may themselves think) have a certain “what will be, will be” attitude and a kind of a “we’ll take this along with all the rest and make lemonade out of it” attitude that others could only dream about and envy.
The ten percent of the population in Kansas that lives west of I-135 can teach us a thing or two about life and living.  It’s too bad we here in the East never get to know any of them very well.

No comments: