Tuesday, June 20, 2006

One of Those Days

Today is one of those days that, as I look ahead, I don’t see anything in the day other than a dental appointment at 9:45 this morning.  The great thing about days like this is that they soon fill up, it seems, with things that I hadn’t planned on and had no idea I would be doing or seeing.  That is one of the exciting things about this work.
No plans for the day doesn’t mean “nothing to do” in this vocation.  Somehow, things seem to work in to fill the available time space and in many ways I’m more productive on days like this than I am when there is a tight schedule.  I don’t know what it is, but I seem to glide more smoothly from task to task when there’s not the press of the clock to be somewhere or do something by a certain hour.  (I don’t know if I’ve ever glided smoothly in anything, but that term seemed to fit in the last sentence.)
No, the dentist won’t be a problem.  It’ll be a first-time exam and a cleaning.  So, although it will probably take most of an hour, it shouldn’t be a visit that evokes visions of swollen jaws or packing in place of a tooth.  Been there, done that.  I’ve been very careful to try to avoid that in the future by daily brushing and flossing.  I don’t always get to the flossing part each day, but I’m a lot better at it than I used to be years ago.  And my teeth are in much better shape, too.  Yeah, I know, it sounds “icky”, but sometimes ick is necessary and preferable to dentures.

No comments: