Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Discombobulation

It’s a little early for me to be sitting in front of the PC.  It’s a little after 7am, and I am just not used to doing this at this hour.  I know, some of you early-risers have done half of a day’s work by this time, but the rest of us have our ruts, and we sort of like them.
I get up earlier than usual on Wednesdays, because I have a Bible study (yes, a real Bible study) with a church member and the preacher at 6:30am on Wednesdays in the member’s basement.  This appears to be a good time for him, and it works out for us, too.  However, he called this morning while I was in the shower and said he was ill and wouldn’t be able to do the study.
So now, I’m about an hour or so ahead of schedule.  Normally, I reach the PC by about 8am or so, but find myself here today earlier than “normal.”  What was that I said about ruts?  That we like them?
In reality, I think we are in love with our ruts, and it becomes even more of a love fest as we age.  I don’t know what the appeal is of a standardized way of doing things, but the attraction just seems to get stronger the farther we travel down the road of life and living.
So today, I’ll be discombobulated all day long.  I’ll want to retire to the comfort of the bed at about 9:30 this evening instead of the usual 10:30 to 11pm.  I’ll want to eat lunch at 10am.  Things won’t be normal at all.  I’ll always be thinking that I’m doing something forbidden somehow, and that the day is just running away with itself into chaos and waste.
I think I might in fact enjoy this day after all.

No comments: