Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sixty Years

Tonight is last time Max Falkenstein of Kansas University athletics announces a game at Allen Fieldhouse.  He’s hanging it up after this season of KU men’s basketball.  He’s called all of the men’s games ever played at the fieldhouse.  He’s been at it for sixty (count ‘em….60) years.
His sidekick, and main play by play man, Bob Davis, is a mere youngster compared to Max.  Bob has only been on the air since about 1968, having started out in Western Kansas at the same radio station where I began my career, and at the same time.  In comparison, Bob is a mere youngster.
What is it like to spend 60 years doing anything?  Max can tell you.  I don’t know that many others have had the privilege.  We normally don’t work 60 years.  We don’t normally do ANYTHING 60 years.  Some of us are lucky enough to work 50 years, but 60?  No way.
And marriage.  What about marriage?  What about those who have been married to the same man or woman for 60 years?  I’ve been married a little over half of that, and although my marriage is happy, I can’t imagine what it would be like to be with someone for that many years.  I hope to find out, though.
Thanks, Max, for 60 great years.  And thank you, Bob Davis, for your unique calling of whatever sporting event you happen to be doing at the time…football, basketball, baseball…you’re pretty good.  I knew you wouldn’t t stay at that kilowatt daytimer very long.    

No comments: