Monday, January 29, 2007

I Can't Stand It

If you've read this in an email I sent earlier, I'm sorry. However, I thought this was good enough to put on the blog.


Our new resident, Rachel, transferred here at semester break. She's a freshman and attended a private Christian academy in the Newton area the first semester. When she came here, the officials at the school said that some of her credits might not transfer, and that they would check on it.
Not having heard anything in almost a month, I went to see Mr. Jiltman, the counselor and said, "What do I need to do in order to facilitate the transfer of credits from the private school?"
He immediately pointed me to the Registrar. I ask the registrar, "Ma'am, I'm Jay Plank with Maude Carpenter Children's Home. Rachel is a new transfer and resident of the home. She transferred here from a private school in the Newton area, but we've not heard whether or not her credits have transferred. What do I need to do in order to facilitate that decision?"
The nice registrar lady said, "(last name), (last name). I think I've tried to get that transcript. I don't have it"
She riffles around her desk and hauls out a scuzzy sheet of paper with Rachel's name on it. It's a request for records. "I've tried to FAX this to them twice, but someone there always picks up the phone before the FAX answers."
So I say, "Ma'am, is there anything I need to do in order to have them get you the records you need?"
"No, I'll just call them."
She picks up the phone, calls and talks to someone who says that she won't answer the phone when it rings and will let it go to the FAX.
The registrar then hangs up, FAX'es the request, and all is well.
I ask, "When should I check back to see if they sent the records or if there's anything I need to do to get them?"
"You can check back in a couple of days. I'm usually very good about transferring credits as soon as the information comes in."
I thanked her profusely and left. I didn't have a melt-down until I left the building, thankfully.

I guess to answer my question of what do I need to do to facilitate this, I guess I need to go visit the registrar and wait until she makes a phone call. These people are very good at what they do, when you can get 'em motivated to do it. They're friendly, helpful, and competent I'm just not sure why I have to make so many personal visits to the school to get something done. I can't stand it.

No comments: