Thursday, January 25, 2007

An Insidious Logic

I can’t believe I’m doing this. It’s 5:15am and I’ve already showered, shaved, and well, whatever else goes along with that. I’ve made coffee and hear one of the girls in the shower as I start this (It can’t be Paige…has to be Rebecca).
Our niece who is battling an eating disorder is checking into a clinic in the St Louis area today. She’s expecting to stay 60 days on an inpatient, then later an outpatient basis. She’s been fighting this demon for several years now.
There are a lot of things in this world I don’t understand. One of them is anorexia/bulimia. This one just baffles me as being so against logic and reason. Oh yes, I know that it has it’s own logic and it’s own reason. But because it doesn’t fit my norm, I’m not comfortable with it. I can’t relate to it. I can’t even fathom how someone could think that way.
However, what I might think about this doesn’t matter a lot. What matters is that some how, some way she is given the tools (and uses them) to beat back the insidious logic of starvation by not eating and then purging what is eaten.
Some of you who are reading this know about this situation. Some don’t. Many of you are religious. Some aren’t. Whatever your “stripe”, keep Michele in your thoughts and prayers these next few weeks as she continues to battle this devil. You might want to follow her progress on her blog http://decorperpoena.blogspot.com/
Don’t ask why that particular name. I have no earthly clue, but somehow, I think Michele knows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I did a little looking because I was curious. I'm not a Latin scholar, but that's what the url appears to be composed of. "de" = concerning, about. "corpus" = body. "poena" = punishment, pain. That's my best guess. Hmmm . . .

--- said...

Decor Per Poena = Beauty Through Pain

From the song "Beauty from Pain" by Superchic[k]
"After all this has passed, I still will remain, after I've cried my last, there'll be beauty from pain, though it won't be today, someday I'll hope again, and there'll be beauty from pain"