Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Real Deal

For those who were becoming used to my writing every day or so, I purposely did not write for a couple of days. I certainly didn’t want to get you used to checking in every day for something new, even if that something new wasn’t important, had little meaning in life, and was a strain to write (chuckle).
Actually, some days I feel more like writing than not; others just the thought of trying to put something down on paper (figuratively speaking, of course) is almost stomach-turning. The last couple of days just haven’t been conducive to my writing.
I’ve been battling some kind of crud…sore throat, chills, some nausea, general aches and pains (more than the normal from arthritis). Today I feel pretty good except for a sore throat.
I’ve told Pat and others more than once during this time, however, that what I have pales in comparison to what someone like Dennis and Phyllis are going through right now. Dennis is an elder at our church with brain cancer. They’ve done the treatments, etc., but the prognosis doesn’t look really rosy right now.
Dennis has been strong and resilient, singing of the mercies of the Lord his God all during this time. He continues his work as a shepherd of the congregation, visiting, counseling, praying, and leading with the kind of servant leadership I think God expects from His people.
Sore throats can be the pits. Aches and pains are a hassle. Brain cancer, though, is the real deal and is a great separator of the sheep from the goats (to borrow a phrase). Dennis has shown himself a sheep in every good sense of the word. Now if I can just imitate Dennis as he imitates Christ….

No comments: